Sunday 15 November 2009

Fonts

Fonts

For my Pop magazine I based my mast head font on the design of Top of the Pops magazine so then it would reflect where I got the idea from, also this would be a good source of research into the type of font used in the Pop genre. The rounded lettering is sans-serif and this shows that there is a softness to Pop, so I feel my fonts should also be Sans-serif to link in and follow the trend for my magazine. This font is unique as the lettering doesn't fully link together like most sans-serif font.

I researched the Smash Hits! font to give me an idea who to chose my font that I wanted for my mast head on the front cover. The lettering in this font is joined together in lower case, also the lettering is sans-serif as there are not serif's on the end of the lettering. Comparing the Smash Hits! font with my masthead font 'Cheri' there are similarities as all of the lettering is presented in lower case.


I have chosen this font as it symbolises what the appeal I am trying to suggest for my music magazine. I chose the font for my masthead.The name of this font is Cheri. I discovered the font on the font website http://www.dafont.com/. The love heart shaped in the dot part of the 'i' makes this font unique as I am using love hearts a key symbol and trademark for my magazine. The type of font is sans-serif so the lettering doesn't have the small flicks at the end of the lettering known as serifs. I think this font will appeal to my target audience as young girls love love hearts as they have a fascination with them. So when they see love hearts featured in the magazine this will interest them and encourage them to purchase the magazine. This type of font is different to the type of font that I used for the preliminary task as the type of font was more Serif and a lot more square and bolder. A way I was considering manipulating the font was added some photos of love hearts around the lettering to link in the love hearts already included in the text. The images could be saved as a jpg, with the font included in the jpg and possibly saved separately when the added into the magazine encase the font doesn't save properly. Also the colour of the font might be manipulating depending on what I decide as the colour scheme for my front cover. Instead of the font colour black and white maybe manipulate it to red and black.


I chose the font akaFrivolity as it suits the description of what sort of font I would like to consider for the key part of my main flash. I also identified this on http://www.dafont.com/. The type of font is serif as the ends of the letters flick out at the edges. So then I think this font would be suitable for my target audience as the type of lettering is all curly and spirally. Also the time of year 'winter' is very festive and lots of fonts around in the winter have lots of swirls and spirals. This font would be suitable for the time of year as the magazine would be in January. The month of January is still a very festive time of year. A way I might manipulate the lettering would be enlarging it and maybe changing the angle, so it isn't directly straight facing towards the audience. A slight angle could give off an more edgy effect to the page. This may appeal to the target audience by making the style of the curly font more of an excitable reaction from the spirals being tilted on an angle.


I chose this font to presented on my front cover. It will be displayed in the little sub-heading above the main flash. I feel that this font is appropriate for this sub-heading as the sans-serif style of writing is will catch the eye of the target audience. As the bullet effect in the font will add some sort of shock for a Pop magazine which is not expected. The shock on the front cover is needed to convey the "VIVA EXCLUSIVE" of the main flash article that will be featured in the magazine. I discovered this font on http://www.dafont.com/ so for a future reference it would be for easy access if ever wanting to download that font.

This font here Serif I have chosen to be featured on the front cover of the magazine. It will be featured in two different areas. Firstly used for two main cells that show Album Releases and Haribo as a free gift. Then also it will be presented on the subhead that supports the main flash. The type of lettering that "Serif" is, is partly obvious as the name of the font is the giveaway. The lettering is serif as there are structured details at the end of the stroke of the lettering, which is known as the serif. In my magazine I would manipulate it by changing the font size to be decreased, also change the colour of the font, if it is featured on different parts on the same page. So this effect may disguise using this font twice one page. Also the different colours might imply the sort of effect it might have on the page.


This font here I have chosen is Arial, I had discovered this font off of Microsoft Office. I have chosen to use this font as I feel it is basic, and would be very useful to be used on my double page spread. As the more basic font that is used to write out an interview, the more easier it will be for the target audience be able to read the font. Also when reading an interview it is crucial for using Sans-serif lettering, as then it would be harder to understand with Serif lettering.


I chose the Bellerose font from the font website http://www.dafont.com/, I chose it as I felt that it would be suitable for my Contents Page masthead, as the lettering of 'Contents Page' is really suited in this font when spread out across the page. The font looks far too elegant and upper class but it very appropriate for a Pop magazine contents page. The type of font is sans-serif as there are no serifs present on the font.

This font that is presented on the left hand side of this page is called Century Gothic, I have selected it from Microsoft Office which is a program that is installed on the computer. I chose this to be used on the title of the double page spread, so this will accompany the font 'Cheri' that is used to show the name of the cover star in a different font to emphasise that the cover star is important. This type of font is informal as the lettering is Sans-serif; this is appropriate for this type of double page spread interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment